Thursday, January 28, 2010

Necessity is the Mother of Invention

They say necessity is the mother of invention. In my case, they'd be right. Daffy, our little cinnamon pearl cockatiel has been making a nuisance of herself and started plucking her back very badly since winter started. To make matters worse, she royally scabbed up her back and was picking at the scab until it was bleeding horrible. I recognized the need for an e-collar, but was plum out and wondering how I was going to make this happen. Then it dawned on me- I have scraps of material, sew on velcro and a sewing machine. Within ten minutes, I had a reusable, washable, handy dandy e-collar that would bend and allow her to eat without getting in the way and keep her from ripping her back up and ripping off scabs that had formed. I am darn proud of myself! It works like a charm!